A dry scalp occurs when the scalp does not produce or hold enough moisture. Dryness irritates the scalp leading to itching and fine flaking, which can later also cause dandruff.
- There are other symptoms, such as redness or sores
- There is associated increased hairfall
- Premature greying of hair
Scalp Dryness & Dandruff Causes:
- Low hydration levels due to less intake of water
- Cold dry weather
- Eczema, atopic dermatitis
- Contact allergycaused by a reaction to products one may apply to scalp, like shampoo, styling gel, and hairspray
- Frequent hair styling procedures like straightening, ironing, colouring etc
- Deficiency of essential fatty acids, zinc and/or B group of vitamins
- Excessive washing and using hard water to wash scalp
- Older age
- Smokers and alcoholics
- Women who have menopaused or are approaching menopause
- Patients who are on some topical treatments for hair fall and are using products like minoxidil in an alcoholic base
Best Scalp Dryness & Dandruff Treatment:
- a) Diet improvement
- b) Supplements containing Vit B6 and B12, essential amino acids, omega 3,6,7 fatty acids, vit D (if there is a deficiency), evening primrose oil (especially in women who are hitting menopause).
- c) Prevention and treatment:
- Drink enough water
- Stop using soap for scalp wash.
- Ensure that the water used is not hard.
- Use sulphate free shampoos which are pH balanced
- good post wash conditioner should be used
- Reduce the frequency of hair wash..
- Reduce frequency of blow drying, ironing and straightening procedures on the hair, and make sure that the hot air, iron or chemicals are not applied close to the scalp.
- Egg, yoghurt and honey can be mixed and applied on the hair and scalp.
- If the problem persists, QR678 may come to the rescue – this involves injecting specific hair growth peptides into the hair roots, at regular intervals into the scalp, they have shown improvement in the texture, density and strength of the hair.
Dandruff is a very common problem in men and women of all ages. At some point in life, you must have felt the nagging itch, and flaky white residue on your clothes that is so characteristic of dandruff. Treatment for dandruff is promised by every second shampoo in the market, but unfortunately, in some cases shampoos alone cannot be the right treatment for dandruff. Dandruff is mainly of two types – dry dandruff and wet or oily dandruff.
- Dry dandruff – Dry dandruff is typically seen as white, dry flakes which fall from your scalp upon touching or shaking it. This is relatively easier to treat.
- Wet or oily dandruff – This is also known as seborrheic dermatitis. In this condition, oily flakes of dandruff collect on your scalp and further attract oil and dirt. This can result in inflammation and itching. Treatment for dandruff in the case of oily dandruff treatment needs to be more specialized to remove both the oiliness of the scalp and the dandruff.
Treatment for dandruff involves the use of one or more of the following specially formulated shampoos:
- Ketoconazole – Ketoconazole containing shampoos such as Nizoral act as broad antifungal agents and can cleanse the scalp in the case of oily dandruff treatment. Ketoconazole shampoos can be bought over the counter or as prescription formulations.
- Selenium sulfide – Shampoos containing selenium sulfide can often benefit patients suffering from prolonged cases of dandruff.
- Salicylic acid – Formulation of shampoos containing salicylic acid act as exfoliants of the dead skin of the scalp and allow it to be cleaned thoroughly. This exfoliant action is often necessary in the case of oily dandruff treatment or seborrheic dermatitis.
- Zinc pyrithione – Zinc pyrithione is a very broad-spectrum antibacterial and antifungal agent which is present in most advertised ‘treatment for dandruff’ shampoos such as Head and Shoulders, Clinic Plus etc. This cleanses the bacteria present in the scalp and hair follicles and help prevent dandruff.
Dandruff is not a serious condition but it can often be an embarrassing one. The constant need to look over your shoulder to see if there are any telltale signs of dandruff can be tiresome and exhausting. Why should you go through this if dandruff is so curable? Consult a dermatologist to fully understand your dandruff problem, and you can rest assured that you will be provided a treatment for dandruff in no time at all!
Some of the most commonly prescribed treatments for scalp dryness & dandruff are as follows:
QR 678 ® Treatment for Dry Scalp & Dandruff Issues: The QR 678 ®is a proprietary, first in class hair fall & hair regrowth therapy, which has revolutionized the treatment of hair fall in alopecia. This formulation has been named QR678 inspired by the new generation ubiquitous presence of “Quick Response“ QR code. 678 in Morse Code signifies “there is no answer”. This formulation has been named QR678™ to signify a “Quick Response to a disease which earlier had no answer”.
How does it work?
The QR 678 ® therapy arrests hair fall & increases the thickness, number & density of existing hair follicles, leading to greater coverage in patients with alopecia. Since, the polypeptides used in QR 678 ® are anyways present in scalp full of hair (they get decreased in scalps which have hair fall), it is the enrichment of the scalp skin with these polypeptides which cause hair growth. Since these polypeptides are anyways normally present in the scalp, replenishing the scalp with these is not artificial and does not have any side effects.
The use of the QR 678 ® leads to better scalp nutrition, better scalp skin condition, reduced hair loss & significant hair regrowth. Existing follicles become thicker. And, dying hair follicles are invigorated and start growing again. Thus, there is an increase in number as well as thickness of hair follicles.
Unlike currently available hair fall treatments like minoxidil & finasteride, the QR 678 ® therapy is almost completely devoid of side effects. It is locally administered over the scalp skin by mesotherapy & as such is not absorbed into the systemic circulation. Unlike currently available hair transplant therapies like Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) & Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT), the QR 678 ® is non invasive, non surgical & therefore safer & more affordable.
The QR 678 ®therapy works very well in androgenetic alopecia or male pattern baldness & female pattern hair loss. The QR 678 ® therapy has also demonstrated encouraging results in post chemotherapy induced hair loss, treatment of hair conditions like scalp dryness, dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis & in immunogenic diseases like alopecia areata.