Seborrhoeic dermatitis is a type of dermatitis/eczema which is a chronic mild variety and usually relapsing. In infancy, seborrheic dermatitis is termed as ‘cradle cap’. Seborrheic dermatitis is also referred to as with certain different terms like – seborrhea, sebopsoriasis, seborrheic eczema, dandruff and pityriasis capitis.
Seborrhoeic dermatitis is an inflammatory skin condition affecting mainly the scalp, the face as well as the torso. A classical case of seborrheic dermatitis comes up with scaly, flaky, itchy, red skin. The areas that are markedly affected are the sebaceous-gland-rich areas of the skin. In adults and adolescent age group, seborrheic dermatitis usually presents as scalp scaling similar to dandruff or as mild to marked erythema of the nasolabial fold.
- Seborrheic dermatitis affects 1 to 3% of healthy adults.
- The occurrence is most likely to be seen in men than women.
Seborrhoeic Dermatitis of Scalp Signs & symptoms:
The symptoms tend to come up slowly and the first and foremost signs to appear are flaky skin and scalp.
- The parts of the skin that are most likely to be affected are – the skin of the face, behind the ears and in areas where the skin folds.
- The flakes may be yellow, white or grayish.
- In more severe cases, yellowish to reddish scaly pimples appear along the hairline, behind the ears, in the ear canal, on the eyebrows, around the nose, the upper back and on the chest.
- Generally, affected individuals experience mild redness, scaly skin lesions and in some cases hair loss.
- There may also be patchy scaling or thick crusts on the scalp, red, greasy skin covered with flaky white or yellow scales, itching and soreness.
- When seborrheic dermatitis occurs in infants, it gives rise to a thick, oily, yellowish crust around the hairline and on the scalp.
- Most often, a stubborn diaper rash follows the scalp rash.
- In infants, the condition may subside without any treatment on its own.
- Seborrheic dermatitis may show an inflammatory reaction to a proliferation of a form of certain yeast Malssezia, however this is yet to be proved.
- Genetic, hormonal, environmental and immune-system factors are said to be responsible for the manifestation of seborrheic dermatitis.
- Certain causes which may act as triggering factors include – psychological stress, lack of sleep, illness, fatigue, change of season and reduced general well-being.
- In children. Hypervitaminosis (excessive vitamin A), lack of biotin, pyridoxine (Vit. B6) and Riboflavin (Vit. B2) may also contribute.
- Individuals with immunodeficiency (particularly infected with HIV) and with neurological disorders like Parkinson’s disease and stroke are more prone to acquiring seborrheic dermatitis.
In majority of the cases, no investigations are required and seborrheic dermatitis is diagnosed by the classical symptoms and rash.
- A clean scalp is very important factor for prevention of a flare-up of seborrheic dermatitis.
- Daily usage of anti-fungal shampoo is recommended.
- Both natural and UV radiation checks the growth of Malassezia yeast.
Seborrhoeic Dermatitis Treatment of Scalp:
- Medications such as antifungals, topical corticosteroids and keratolytics like topical urea may prove beneficial for controlling seborrheic dermatitis.
- Antihistamines may be helpful in order to reduce itching in certain cases.
- Phototherapy – Using UV-A and UV-B laser or red and blue LED light for inhibiting the growth of Malassezia fungus and for reducing seborrheic inflammation.
- Alternative medicine:
Topical application of Aloe vera.
Topical application of tea tree oil – diluted to 5%.
Topical application of Viola tricolor or Heartsease – useful for the treatment of cradle cap, seborrheic dermatitis of infants.
Best treatment for dandruff includes medicated shampoos, lotions & topical cream applications. Shampooing your hair regularly can help you get rid of oily dandruff. The cost of dandruff treatment depends upon the type of treatment chosen. Depending upon the severity of your scalp condition, your Dermatologist would provide you the best advice regarding which type of treatment you should go for.
Some of the most commonly prescribed treatments for scalp dryness & dandruff are as follows:
QR 678 ® Treatment for Seborrheic Dermatitis: The QR 678 ®is a proprietary, first in class hair fall & hair regrowth therapy, which has revolutionized the treatment of hair fall in alopecia. This formulation has been named QR678 inspired by the new generation ubiquitous presence of “Quick Response“ QR code. 678 in Morse Code signifies “there is no answer”. This formulation has been named QR678™ to signify a “Quick Response to a disease which earlier had no answer”.
How does Seborrhoeic Dermatitis of Scalp Treatment work?
The QR 678 ® therapy arrests hair fall & increases the thickness, number & density of existing hair follicles, leading to greater coverage in patients with alopecia. Since, the polypeptides used in QR 678 ® are anyways present in scalp full of hair (they get decreased in scalps which have hair fall), it is the enrichment of the scalp skin with these polypeptides which cause hair growth. Since these polypeptides are anyways normally present in the scalp, replenishing the scalp with these is not artificial and does not have any side effects.
The use of the QR 678 ® leads to better scalp nutrition, better scalp skin condition, reduced hair loss & significant hair regrowth. Existing follicles become thicker. And, dying hair follicles are invigorated and start growing again. Thus, there is an increase in number as well as thickness of hair follicles.
Unlike currently available hair fall treatments like minoxidil & finasteride, the QR 678 ® therapy is almost completely devoid of side effects. It is locally administered over the scalp skin by mesotherapy & as such is not absorbed into the systemic circulation. Unlike currently available hair transplant therapies like Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) & Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT), the QR 678 ® is non invasive, non surgical & therefore safer & more affordable.
The QR 678 ®therapy works very well in androgenetic alopecia or male pattern baldness & female pattern hair loss. The QR 678 ® therapy has also demonstrated best treatment results in post chemotherapy induced hair loss, treatment of hair conditions like scalp dryness, dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis & in immunogenic diseases like alopecia areata.
Seborrhoeic Dermatitis of Scalp, Hair Fall Treatment for Men and Women Before After Photos-
no images were found