Significant contributions to science and/ or technology development by Dr. Debraj Shome in the past 5 years:
Debraj Shome has performed significant path breaking research in hair growth & alopecia. Dr. Shome et al invented a hair growth formulation, called the QR 678 hair growth factors formulation. This formulation was awarded a USA patent by the United States Patent & Trademark Office (USPTO)
in June 2017 and an Indian patent in 2019.
A team led by Dr. Shome was responsible for inventing a novel hair growth drug, called the QR678®
hair growth factor injections. This was reported as first page news in all editions of the Times of India
Clinical research conducted on this was published:
Intradermal injections of a hair growth factor formulation for enhancement of human hair regrowth – safety and efficacy evaluation in a first-in-man pilot clinical study.
Kapoor R, Shome D
. J Cosmet Laser Ther. 2018 Feb 26:1-11. doi: 10.1080/14764172.2018.1439965.
The same has now secured FDA permissions for manufacturing for commercial sales, within India.
This research is revolutionary in the sense that not only a novel medicine to treat hair fall has been invented by a clinician researcher based in India, this has garnered international recognition by way of a US patent and now commercialization is being performed!
Dr. Debraj Shome has performed significant path breaking research facial oncology & facial plastic surgery.
- Research paper on Myoconjunctival Enucleation (Shome D et al. Implant and Prosthesis Movement after Enucleation: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Ophthalmology 2010) demonstrated better prosthesis motility, with a newer surgical technique, using a much cheaper implant. This revolutionized treatment in India, with a cheaper Rs. 100 implant (as opposed to Rs. 25000 costing US implants).
- Research paper on Peri-ocular Injections of carboplatin (a cancer drug), in advanced cases of Retinoblastoma, revolutionized existing practice patterns in RB treatment (Shome D et al. Does a nanomolecule of carboplatin injected periocularly help in attaining higher intravitreal concentrations? Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009 Dec;50(12):5896-900.)
- In conjunction with the IIT Mumbai, Research paper on a newly prepared novel nanomolecule carboplatin, revolutionized the peri-ocular carboplatin injections further, in RB treatment (Kalita D, Shome D et al. In Vivo intraocular distribution and safety of periocular nanoparticle Carboplatin for treatment of advanced retinoblastoma in humans. Am J Ophthalmol. 2014 May;157(5):1109-1115.
The above novel nanomolecule carboplatin molecule was further refined, by using PMMA as a carrier, in conjunction with the IIT Mumbai. This was another new molecule designed by the team & a huge accomplishment in the field of RB treatment. PMMA, being an inert carrier, This nanomolecule with PMMA carrier, would make the drug much safer in human beings, instead of using albumin as a carrier, as was the case in the above molecule. (Shome D et al. Carboplatin loaded polymethylmethacrylate nano-particles in an adjunctive role in retinoblastoma: an animal trial. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2014 May;62(5):585-9.)
These works on inventing new drugs for cancer, using nano-technology, are ongoing and significant progress is still being made by Dr. Debraj Shome and the team.
4. In addition, Dr. Shome’s landmark papers have significantly altered practice patterns globally, in facial plastic surgery & facial aesthetics
et al. Botulinum toxin: Is it really that fragile a molecule? Dermatol Surg. 2010 Dec;36 Suppl 4:2106-10.
Kapoor R, Shome D
et al. Facial rejuvenation post intradermal Botulinum toxin: Is it really the Botulinum toxin or is it the pricks? Dermatol Surg. 2010 Dec;36 Suppl 4:2098-105.
5. Dr. Debraj Shome’s most significant work has been to form & lead multi-specialty teams, involving basic & clinical scientists from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Mumbai, India & clinicians from the top hospitals, to formulate new revolutionary drugs for hair growth, cancer therapy & for facial plastic surgery. This task is a much more difficult task in India, since India does not really have large universities which can provide this sort of environment for multi-specialty research, so this task of formulating new drug molecules, stabilizing them, performing animal trials and ultimately using them in human clinical trials, leading to successful treatments of diseases, needs to be recognized and lauded.
6. Other impacts of the scientific contributions of Dr. Debraj Shome:
- Significant advances in hair growth therapy
- Significant changes in the treatment of Retinoblastoma and other neural cancers, globally.
- Significant understanding in the treatment of hair loss and alopecia globally.
- Choosing not to patent the Retinoblastoma (RB) drug molecules, was a significant act of philanthropy by Dr. Shome, allowing these drug inventions to be allowed cheap to poor patients in India, needing drugs for RB.